Sunday, May 10, 2009

Moments in time

We live life to experience moments. Some of those moments we anticipate and others catch us off guard. Some of those moments are good, fun, amazing, and others we dread and are horribly painful. Either way, those moments come and then are gone as quickly as they came. And we left with just memories.

Sometimes we dwell in the past and don't look to the future and other times, we refuse to look back to the past and recognize that those moments define our future.

Often times I wish I knew about the great moments in advance. That way I could anticipate them, because I love to anticipate great things. I truely believe that half the enjoyment of good moments is from anticipating it. Kind of like looking forward to a trip.

Learn from your past. Anticipate the future. But live for today.

You never know which "today" might be your last moment in time.

3 comments:

erin said...

what a great reminder!

i am anticipating going out for tacos with my sis-in-law tomorrow! =)

Four peas in a pod said...

A moment that caught me off guard was when I found out I had lymphoma. A slow-growing, yet incurable form of cancer. As horrible as it is to have cancer, there is a good side.

I anticipate almost EVERYTHING. I enjoy each moment like never before. I take deeper breaths when the wind blows the season's scent. The birds sound better, singing in the car with my children brings intense euphoria and sometimes joyful tears.

Right now, I am even anticipating cranking out some CRF's (case report forms for work). Really, everything is better with cancer! Although, not good enough to recommend smoking.

;-)

A. Lori

Anonymous said...

ah you're such a wise woman--yes live in the here and now--you can't go back(sometimes that would be nice) and only God knows what the future has in store for us..I also agree that if we had a little bit of notice whent he good moments would happen then perhaps we'd relish in them even more--the sights, smells, feelings, etc..take every bit in and remember all of it :)