Thursday, May 29, 2008

Moving so soon...

So, I really don't have a point to this particular post.

I am just sitting here thinking of my upcoming move and life changes and decided I would just start typing. I have prepared for this move for several weeks... I've bought a car, found a place to live, got a job, resigned myself to the fact that I will be cold 9 months out of the year, and lined up many other things that I need to do. And all of that was done before I graduated! =)

What I haven't done is dealt with this emotionally. I don't mean to use the word "emotional" as though I need to cry and be all dramatic. What I mean is that most of my best friends are here in the Sacramento area and I have yet to internalize the fact that I will be moving 1,500 miles away from everyone. I don't want to say goodbye; I'd rather pretend nothing is changing.

At work, all my friends have taken me out to dinner, taken pictures to make a scrapbook for me, and many other thoughtful things that have been really special. I still don't feel like I am leaving.

I haven't even started packing yet. Maybe because if I pack, that means this is really going to happen. I am really moving. I really won't be able to play poker on Saturdays with my friends anymore. I really won't be tubing all summer with everyone. I really won't get to see my CA family much. I really will be leaving a great office and great co-workers.

On the other hand, there is so much to look forward to. I will be living closer to my family. I will be starting a new job. Making new friends. Getting a new car. Have access to cheaper plane tickets to the east coast. All in all, it's a great opportunity and I will be challenged and I will grow.

I am terrified and excited. Happy and sad. Confused and Certain.

12 comments:

Four peas in a pod said...

I remember similiar feelings as I moved from San Diego to Seattle and then from Seattle to NJ. You are right, the feelings are so mixed! Almost a "sweet sadness", if you will.

No matter, when all was said and done, it was the right move!

I love you and am thinking of you on your journey!

-A. Lori

Mitchi Photography said...

Just want to wish lots of luck! I think I am gonna do one these too!

Jess(ica) said...

Mitchi... you totally should blog! It's a lot of fun =)

not2brightGRAM said...

The only alternative is to be a Hobbit, and never have any adventures. Ho-Hum.

;-)

Anonymous said...

hi

Rebecca said...

Jessica, I totally empathize with you on this one! It's hard to have such conflicting (and strong) emotions at the same time because it makes you feel torn in two. When you focus on the excited feelings, then the sad part of you feels like you aren't valuing the relationships you love and you aren't acknowledging the huge loss that will come with moving. But, if you really embrace the sadness, then you are missing out on the wonderful changes ahead and the thrill of the future.

I felt exactly how you are feeling when we moved to Singapore last year. It was really hard to reconcile all these swirling emotions and to feel like you're doing either side justice.

I'll be praying for you. . . as hard as it is to say goodbye to everyone, it is really good to take the time to reflect on the treasured relationships you are leaving behind, and where appropriate, let those people know how much you love them.

not2brightGRAM said...

Rebecca, swirling emotions letting go of loved ones, too!

I think it might be easier to be the one going. You had the adventure to look forward to. We had the void you left.

But, as time goes on, it becomes easier. We've seen God's faithfulness in filling that void with Himself, and His people. And, it is wonderful to hear of all your experiences.

But, if you ever come back, there will definitely be a new spot for you to fill here! (And "here" will feel like "right here" if you are within 500 miles!)

Jessica, I know this move is easy on your parents! ;-)

not2brightGRAM said...

(just checking the "email follow-up comments" box)

This and That said...

I am so thankful for getting to know you while you were here!

A day in the Life... said...

Change is hard I know. I am sure you will adjust great!

Anonymous said...

You will be missed by many, however, what an exciting time in your life you are about to experience. A house with four girls, a new job, a new car, a new environment!!!! You are going to have a blast and I am so excited for you but super duper sad my best friend is leaving, You will be in my prayers always, BF

A day in the Life... said...

Hey I just wanted to let you know that I switched my blog to invite readers only but I don't have your email adress so I can't add you to the list. If you would like to be added just let me know please :)

kmsimmons0@gmail.com