Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Updates on life

I realized that I haven't posted any updates for a little while and a lot has happened in the past month or so.

Yesterday was my last final for this semester... and better than that, it was my last final EVER! I will be graduating on Saturday with my Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice. It's kind of surreal, but I am sure it will hit eventually. I will be more relaxed once I see my grades (which I know will be fine, but there is just something about seeing them on an official transcript); and I will be even more relaxed after my diploma is mailed to me and in the extremely over-priced diploma frame I bought (but hey, it's a big deal). I am celebrating with my CA family on Friday night in Turlock and then with my friends all weekend at various grad parties. I even have announcements to send out, but I am kind of running late on those. I debated on whether or not to get them but I thought it would be fun to have a grad announcement to look back on some day =)

As far as work goes, my last day "on the books" in my current position with State Farm is May 30th. As of May 31st, I am officially on the payroll of the Minnesota office! I won't be moving until June 10th though. It was too unrealistic since I am graduating from Sac State on May 24th. I have a week of training the first week of June in Lincoln, Nebraska and my new supervisor graciously offered to fly me from Sacramento to the training. Then, I will keep work on my training books in the office I am currently in on Monday and Tuesday of the second week in June (June 9-10). I have the rest of the week (Wed-Thursday) off to move. Charlie and my mom are coming out to CA to help me endure the 3 day drive across the country in a Uhaul truck.

There is a lot of planning involved when you move across the country! This will be my 4th move from one state to another, but the other 3 times, all I needed to move was my clothes and a few personal items like pictures and knick-knacks (is that spelled correctly?). All of that fit into my little Dodge Shadow so I would pack it up and drive off. Also, I was always moving to a place I knew people so I didn't really need to bother finding a place to live because I already had one. But now, I have accumulated lots of furniture and have even more pictures and stuff, hence the Uhaul (and just in time for record high gas prices). And I am going to a place where I don't know anyone so I had to actually find a place to live!

I decided the first thing I needed to do was find a vehicle that could handle the Minnesota weather (they get snow from September through May, so 4x4 is a must)! So, I bought a 1999 Toyota 4Runner, 4x4, and manual transmission (the stick shift was just for fun)! Since it was in MN, my mom test drove it and then picked it up for me! I sold my car and a friend of mine is letting me borrow his car (that he is not using at the moment) since I don't have one.

The next thing (and probably the hardest part) was finding a place to live! Rent in MN is cheaper than CA, but I am used to sharing the rent with my roommate so if I found a place to live alone, I would end up paying more money than I am now, plus the full cost of utilities. I decided to find a place where a couple of girls wanted another female roommate to move in. Today, my mom checked out a place for me and now, I have a place to live!

Well, I am super tired and need a nap (go figure). I need to get my nap in before the American Idol finale comes on (GO DAVID ARCHULETTA!!!).

=)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a busy gal...real proud of you!!!! you have done a great job with school and work....sure will miss you........be seening you Friday.........

not2brightGRAM said...

I am also SO, SO-O-O proud of you. I'm going to miss you terribly when you move back to MN, but I wish you ALL the best.

I have a feeling GREAT new things are waiting for you there...

;-)

3dingsandadog said...

What an exciting time for you! Congratulations on your graduation and good luck in Minn.

Barb, Lee and Kyleigh

Anonymous said...

Congrats on graduating! That's so awesome! Sounds like God has everything set for your move... I'm so happy that you found a car and a place to live. Good luck as you start a new chapter in your life!
oh... hey, I'm sorry that American Idol made you pissed on Wednesday. Wednesday was the only one we watched because we were at Ben's brother's house. So when we got home that night Samantha was talking about it and she said "That's too bad for David 'Enchilada' that he didn't win..." I thought that was cute!

Jess(ica) said...

Enchilada!? That is so cute!