Saturday, June 7, 2008

Nebraska

I just returned from a 4 day trip to Lincoln, Nebraska for job training. I will never live there. Ever.

As most people know, one of my major forms of communication is text messaging. It's quick, easy, you can text at times a phone call would be inappropriate, the person you are texting can respond at their convenience, and it's fun. When I am not communicating through text messages, I am usually talking on my phone. I have unlimited text messages and in addition to being able to talk to my mom for free, I have more minutes than I care to admit. I use almost all of them each month (unfortunately, last month I used $80 more minutes than my plan permits).

Well, in the BIG city of Lincoln, Nebraska (which I am assuming is one of Nebraska's largest cities), I did NOT get cell phone reception... anywhere. As you can imagine, this was a very sad discovery for my text-messaging self.

To further sadden the situation, the internet in my room didn't work (another significant way I stay in touch with friends). If I wanted to send an email, I had to go to the "business center" in the hotel lobby.

While the lack of cell phone and internet communicating was very irritating, these are not the reasons I would never move to Nebraska. It's the weather.

Two of the three nights I was in Nebraska, there was severe lightening storms (which I love, and is still not the reason I would not move to Nebraska). Along with the lightening storms, there were also Tornado Warnings. This, my friends, is the reason I would not move to Nebraska. I can deal with blizzards and power outages. But, I would never live in a place where, in the middle of my deep slumber, I could wake up to my house being ripped off it's foundation and my body being carried away to the Land of Oz. (I don't sleep in my red ruby slippers so I'd never make it back home).

It's not even like CA and the earthquakes. We know that they can and will happen, but we don't have earthquake season. Even with hurricanes you usually have several days warning so if you don't leave the area, it's kind of your fault for sticking around. But tornados... they make quick and devestating appearances. No thank you.

I have to go back to Lincoln two more times this summer. I really hope there are no tornado warnings because this past week, I didn't sleep very well the nights the tornado warnings were in effect.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you take that picture? I'm with you...not the kind of weather I would like either....glad you got back safe and we' ll see you soon..........

Jess(ica) said...

I didn't take that picture, but if I lived in Nebraska long enough, I could probably take a plethra (sp?) of those pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

that's the reason i HATE living in kansas city. i dread may and june. i'd much rather have a blizzard. although as i sit on the floor in my teeny bathroom with my kids during a tornado warning i keep telling myself that more people die from lightening and flooding than tornadoes. still hate them, though!!

Jess(ica) said...

I give you props for enduring that Erin. I never could! =)

A day in the Life... said...

I have a pair of ruby slippers if you would like to borrow them for your next trip ;)

Jess(ica) said...

Katie, Are YOU the one who stole the Ruby Slippers from the Museum??? haha