Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Torchlight 5k - Downtown Minneapolis

On July 22, some coworkers and I ran the "Torchlight 5k" race in Downtown Minneapolis. It was a lot of fun, and like the first 5k I did, I finished in 35 minutes. Although this time, I think it was actually faster than 35 minutes and here is why:

There were thousands of people running this race through the streets of Minneapolis. I was somewhere in this extremely huge group of people and when the race began, it was a good minute or two before I even crossed the starting line. (You can imagine my disappointment when I realized that my first few blocks of running didn't count towards the 5 kilometers I was planning on running)! So either a) I ran more than 5 kilometers in 35 minutes, or b) we subtract the time it took me to cross the official starting line and I ran the 5k in less than 35 minutes.
Really, though, for me it's not about the time. I don't aim for running long distances. I prefer running intervals and have found a few effective running routines that provide the interval training I need to keep me healthy and conditioned for hockey. And I hear intervals are better for you anyway (although everyone has a theory on that). The cool part about this race was just being with so many people and hanging out with friends.
Speaking of my friends, here are a few pics of the friends I came with:

(L to R) John, me and Angelene (my roommate)


(L to R) John, Kris (who got me into Broomball! yay!!), me, and Angelene


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! You totally did it in less than 35 minutes. You should be so proud of yourself!

Jana

Midge said...

You are a star. You should be proud of yourself for doing the 5K in general, but also for the time. Nice job!

erin said...

good job!

you look so cute! i've always wanted to have one of those numbers pinned to me...!