Monday, August 3, 2009

Dare to Dream?

Think of a dream you have.

It could be anything from joining an underwater basket weaving class to going to the moon.

Now imagine that your dream totally depends on someone else.

You've done your part (signed up for that class... bought your space suit)... but now, you have to wait (someone has to teach that class or someone has to offer trips to the moon). And it looks like you will be waiting a while.

What do you do? Do you hold out hope knowing you most likely will never get to scratch that dream off your "list of things to do before you die?" Do you settle for a less lofty dream (like an above-water basket weaving class or going to a science museum); not as satisfying as your original dream, but something close enough? Or do you just give up on your dream altogether?

Do you have any examples?

3 comments:

erin said...

no, you definitely don't give up on your dream all together. i think that going for a less lofty goal is ok, as long as morals aren't compromised either way.

examples: i'd love to have a house someday. but even if i can't have my dream house, that doesn't mean i'm gonna give up and settle for living in a townhouse forever. i'll still persue owning a house someday!
marriage or friendship is an example in which morals could be compromised. if you have a list of certain qualities you're looking for in a spouse/friend, but can't seem to find him/her, you definitely DON'T compromise your morals and settle for the next joe schmo that comes along.
i have other examples, but i think my comment is long enough! and i also think it depends on the situation and how realistic the dream is.

Heather said...

I have always wanted to travel to Italy. I know my camera and I would have a great time. My friend and I always talked about going, but now that she's married, I don't know if that will ever happen. No, I'm not waiting for her to get divorced! :) As far as it being dependent on another person, yeah, I guess it is. I need someone to finance the trip! :) I don't know... I definitely can't afford it now, but I'm not too keen on the idea of giving up the dream or settling for something less desirable. So maybe I'll just hold on....

Anonymous said...

I pretty much gave up, but I don't know (it's actually probably not) if this is the best option.

btw this was a good analogy.