Monday, March 16, 2009

TTD: Pass 'Property Loss Adjusting' test... check!!!

On Friday (the 13th!!!) I passed my Property Loss Adjusting Course. Hooray! This whole experience has been about way more than the test. I have learned a lot and my blog is the perfect place for me to reflect on what I've learned (or re-learned)...

First, do something right the first time around and it will save you a lot of trouble later on. I knew going into my first test (back in December) that I was going to need a lot more preparation to pass than what I had done. I basically read through chapter outlines and took a few practice tests. This approach was extremely effective in college. But not-so-much this time. Having implemented this dire plan, it was no surprise that I failed the test... and I certainly deserved to fail. And, in order to retake the test, I had to pay for it myself (over $200 - aka incentive).

Next lesson I learned was that sometimes in life you have to sacrifice doing fun things to do things that are not fun. I realize this is a lesson we all know and I am no exception. I knew this full well. In order for me to pass this test, I was going to have to read the book; and not just "read" it but actually read it to comprehend it. And I knew that, at times, it means re-reading paragraphs when my mind wondered or I lost focus as I was reading. I spent many nights reading my book and an entire weekend reading it (I literally didn't cross the threshold of my front door from Friday night till Monday morning). I was so dedicated that I actually haven't watched 24 (one of my favorite shows) for a few weeks (I plan on catching up soon)!

And not so surprisingly it was reiterated to me that sacrificing fun for un-fun things can be rewarding since I passed (and even though it felt like I barely passed, I actually did better than I thought).

I also learned that I work better with accountibility and encouragement. Well, I kind of already knew this from college days, but this test was definitely a reminder that it's nice to have friends proding me along and holding me accountable to the goals I was striving to acheive. In a way, if I failed this test again, I was not just letting me down, but those around me who knew I was capable of passing even when I wasn't sure that I was. Maybe that is crazy, but we all have different ways that the "fire under our butt" gets lit... and for me, encouragement is that way.

The most shocking thing I learned, and one of the most nerdy things about me, is that at the end of this whole experience, I actually am happy to have learned the material. It's nice to have knowledge about stuff and even though I will lose a lot of what I learned (because that just tends to happen), I will retain some of it. There were even nights where I was studying, and had I not been so stressed because of the time crunch, I was actually kind of enjoying it (keep that on the DL...).

What's next? Liability. I start preparing for that one in April and I will definitely be reading the book and and studying for it this time. My test will be in June.

************
You know that place between wanting to do what's fun
and wanting to do what's necessary?
I'm There!
************

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Proud Papa - check!

Anonymous said...

Well again, I am very very proud of you. You did it all yourself! You just had to set your priorities and 'get r done' and you did it! Yipee! The next one we will work thru together! I will keep you on task... you can bet that! :)

erin said...

ok, first of all, how cute what your dad said! :-)

and i can't believe you had to pay over $200 for it. that's insane!

i'm so glad you passed. i'm glad i could be a spark in the fire under your butt! but really, it is a whole lot easier when you have people cheering you on! great job!

Anonymous said...

since you can't comment on the polls, I'll comment here!

i haven't signed any papers but i am totally for donating my body, why would I need it and it probably saves a lot of money!

Jess(ica) said...

I'm with you charlie... why not? I don't need it... and the thought of it doesn't ook me out! Besides if it can help someone or can be used for testing or some sort of medical advancement... it can be my contribution to the medical field!