Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Am I A Runner?

When is someone considered a runner?
Is it after they've ran a certain number of miles? Days? Is it if they intend to keep up the habit forever?

Since, oh let's see, December-ish, I have been working out at the little gym in our office (thanks to the encouragement of 3 of my work friends who invited me to start working out with them). State Farm rents the building and we have access to this gym for free. It doesn't have much, a few treadmills and bikes and a few weights, but hey, it's free.

The first day I went I walked on the treadmill; and it had been a while since I walked on a treadmill. I dropped my ipod about 2 times, my book mark about 2 or 3 times and I hit the emergency stop button a few times too. And again, I was WALKING. And probably not very fast either. But I did it. I was on a treadmill. And my friends were a little entertained with all the stopping and dropping (no rolling).

About 2 months ago, my walking turned into walk/running. I would warm up with a 5 minute walk and then run for 2 minutes, walk for 3 minutes, run for 2.... Then one day about 3 or 4 weeks ago I decided to run for 7 minutes (after my warm up walk) and then finish the workout with my 2 minute/3 minute intervals of walk/running.

Over the next few weeks I set new goals. My next goal was to run a mile. Then a mile and a half. And today it was to run 2.5 miles. Only today, instead of running 2.5 miles, I ran 3 miles. Which happens to be .1 (one tenth) of a mile shy of running a 5k. This was good to know: that I can run a 5k. I was good to know because I actually happen to be running in a 5k April 18th. And if that weren't crazy enough (and it IS crazy... for me...), I am doing a 10k in May (that one might be more of a walk/run situation).

Running is so mental. I really think most people are capable of running. Sure, you have to work up to it, but I have learned that I am capable of doing it; it's really just a matter of convincing my mind that it's okay to let my legs keep going despite a little weariness.

So am I a runner? I am not sure if I am a runner yet. Mostly because I haven't been doing it very long, I am not sure I am at a place where I would do it without the support of my friends who go to the gym with me every day, and because I have no idea what the longevity of this new found interest will be (I have good intentions, but don't we all?).

But, I want to be a runner.
*****

6 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

I think you are well on your way to being a runner. Good going! You'll never regret being active. Starting now while you are *young* is awesome. Make it a habit. Keep it a habit.

Anonymous said...

You are for sure a runner! I am proud of you. And you should be proud of yourself. Your friends sound really cool! I would like to meet them someday! :) But really, someone can only push you along so much.. you have to be the one to actually do it and you have!!! So YEAH Jess. You go girl! By the way, one of the definitions of a runner is one who travels on foot by running, therefore, you are NOW a runner!!! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

sounds like you are a 'runner' in my book! keep it up...be like your Aunt Pup...she works out rain or shine...I'm proud of her..she does great and looks wonderful..and like she said "make a habit of it".......

Your oldest brother said...

Are you running these 5 and 10 K's with friends? If not I'll come down there and run them with you!

Jess(ica) said...

I am running them with friends, but you can come down anyway! Maybe at least for one of them?! They are $25 but you get a free t-shirt (and a great workout)! It'll be fun!

John said...

I have plans for the day of the 5K but what is the date of the 10K?