Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Barack "H" Obama

No doubt today is historical.



Many of us witnessed the inauguration of President Barack Obama today. I suppose that anytime we swear in a new President of the United States, the day goes down in history, but this time it was historical in another way: the people of America elected an African American man to serve as our President.



Despite the fact that I didn't vote for President Obama, I must admit that I do think it's neat that we've come so far as to elect an African American president. Clearly some people are able to look beyond the color of a man's skin to something deeper: who the person is and what they stand for. (Although, I can't help but wonder how many people voted for President Obama just because he is African American. - probably not necessary to say out loud, but I doubt I am the only one wondering it - and I am sure some people voted for Hilary Clinton or Sarah Palin simply because they were female).



I watched the inauguration today, not just because it was an extremely historical one, but because anytime we swear in a new President, it's a big deal. Our country is being handed over to a new leader, to man who we are now called respect and honor by shear nature of his position.

While I remain skeptical as to what Obama will accomplish - after all, he sure made a lot of promises - I have chosen to remain open-minded about him in the sense that I will sit back and see what happens and not assume that I will be adamantly opposed to everything he will do and every decision he will make (however, clearly we will have differences of opinion being that I am conservative and he is liberal). And until proven otherwise (concretely, not just "rumors") I will also choose to believe that he truely has our country's best interest in mind as he makes decisions. And I will also believe that God did not "accidently" allow President Obama to take office.

And as a side note in regards to the inauguration ceremony, I thought it was neat that Pastor Rick Warren prayed for our new President today; it was very clear that Pastor Warren was praying to the Christian God of the Bible as he called Him by many of His names; names that only the God of the Bible goes by: Jesus, Eloheim, etc

So now, as we enter this little speck in time, a moment that will pass as quickly as it came, lets come together as Americans, supporting our country and our President. And let's also remain bold enough to live our lives in such a way that we do not compromise our own convictions. After all, that is what America is all about, isn't it?

6 comments:

Four peas in a pod said...

It was a joyous event here at work. They opened up the auditorium where anyone who wanted to watch the ceremony, could. We got to clap, cheer, and cry together.

Perhaps there WERE many people who voted for Barack Obama because he is black. In fact, I'm sure there were many. But if you take a people whom many have felt disenfranchised, perhaps there was a reason. Maybe in the past they felt that no matter what, there was no point. It's just a hunch. I have not lived the life of a "colored", "black", "African American". So, what if people voted for the first time because of his "color"? Hope has been rekindled in someones heart, and that is a good.

As a gay woman, I was NOT happy about Rick Warren being apart of this historical *civil rights* moment. However, the fact that he was apart of the ceremony says a lot about our new President. He really does want to have a less divisive Country. I think he is trying to be inclusive. I remember the time President Bush said he would support a constitutional ban on Gay marriage. It's one thing to have that opinion, it is quite another to, as leader of ALL Americans, to take a side on such a divisive exclusionary act involving a group of people he *leads*. That was the day I felt like a second class citizen by *my* President. So in this spirit, I understood including Rick Warren. To include people from all walks of life with differing perspectives.

It will be impossible to please all the people, and it is a fact there will policies that people do not agree with that will be implimented (or unimplimented).

Hopefully, in the end, our Country will be better off in 4 to 8 years.

I don't know how. There is so much work to do, but at least we are changing direction.

That's a GOOD thing.

A. Lori

Four peas in a pod said...

I can't follow up Lori's eloquent thoughts so I will simply say that I agree with both of you on many points.

I had one question though: Jess, why the H in quotation marks in the title of your post??

Jana

Anonymous said...

Jana, when they introduced him as he made his appearance yesterday, they introduced him as Barack "H" Obama instead of Barack "Hussein" Obama -I thought that was odd because I thought they normally they used their whole name. When he took his oath, he used his middle name though. So basically I just did that to mimick how he was introduced. =) Many people probably didn't even notice the "H" instead of "Hussein" =)

Four peas in a pod said...

I actually noticed that as well and wondered why they didn't use his whole middle name.

Jana

Rebecca said...

Jessica, thanks for your thoughtful post. You always have such an interesting and insightful way of looking at things. I can't tell you how much I look forward to reading your blog.

I agree with you. President Obama is now our leader and I will give him all due respect. I disagree with some of his stances, but I also believe that it is important to give him a fair shake!

And, you're right. It is an immense privilege to be part of a nation where we can each hold to our convictions with passion and yet know that we will be protected and allowed our disagreements. We'd be foolish to pass up the opportunity to live with zeal!

Anonymous said...

I also had the chance to view the inauguration. Though it was not by choice.

To think that so many people were in attendance for the event was... unnerving. That one man would have such a following, such charisma, and such opposite view points scares me.

Though I will grant him respect, it is because the position he holds is honorable. Not because I find his traits, stances, or achievements to be good.

I do not deny the significance of this event however. A black man has risen to the TOP of the free world. This shows just how far America has come in the past century. But is racism over? Not by a long shot. But perhaps not in the traditional sense.

Is voting for someone because they are black racism? Is hiring a Hispanic to meet a staff quota deemed racism? Is offering scholarships to minorities to create a diverse environment racism? Is going great lengths to avoid appearing the slightest bit racist while actually denying people in a majority the same opportunity racist?

Yes.

But has the man of "hope" and "change" began the destruction of all racism and (what I'll call) reverse racism? Let us all hope that people of all RACES be given the same opportunities. This must happen.