Thursday, October 2, 2008

Taco Soup

I would be doing the world a disservice if I withheld my Aunt Pup's Taco Soup recipe from it another day.... especially now that it is "autumn" (well, some of you who aren't in the Midwest are still waiting for "autumn" to arrive) and the time of year we make soups more frequently.

This taco soup (it's kind of like chili) is honestly one of the best things I have ever eaten in my life. I literally make it about once a week and then eat the left overs for 2-3 days (lunch and dinner) and never get sick of it. I have never met anyone, kids or adults, who didn't love it (at least they didn't say so).

Anyway, here is the recipe... if you try it (and you REALLY should), post any variations or suggestions you have when making it so others can try it "your" way!!

Happy Autumn!!! And, THANKS to my Aunt Pup for introducing this amazing soup to me! =)


Taco Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 yellow onion (chopped up)
  • 1 lb ground turkey OR beef
  • 2 can of beans (I used black beans, but you can use any kind of bean you’d like: kidney, etc)
  • 1 can of corn
  • 1 16 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 can of stewed tomatoes
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
  • 1 Bag of Tortilla Chips
  • Shredded cheese
  • Sour cream
Directions:

  • Cook up ground meat and onion together in a large pot.
  • Drain the meat grease.
  • Add beans, corn, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, and taco seasoning.
  • Let simmer for 15+ minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Serve with chips, cheese and sour cream.
(This is just one variation of Taco Soup. I change it up sometimes by adding more corn, or no tomatoes (because I hate tomatoes), etc, so you can always add or take away ingredients as you like).

Since I make this so much, I can also tell you it costs about $20 to buy everything, which is pretty good for me since it gives me about 4-5 meals before it goes bad and I have to make another batch. Which reminds me, if you have had it as left overs for a few days and you think it might be too old to eat it as left overs, don't eat it. I made that mistake once :) Just make a new batch!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I agree. . . this is one of the best and easiest soups around. Unfortunately, the ingredients here would cost about $40 for one batch. And since Josh loves this soup, one batch doesn't go very far!

Since we like everything spicy, we also like to add about 1/2 a small can of chopped jalepenos. Either that, or add spicy taco mix instead of regular.

not2brightGRAM said...

One important clarification. When you make it, add the entire contents of the beans, kernel corn, tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes cans; do NOT drain them. It will seem weird, but that's what gives the soup its body.

A good variation is to use Mexican style canned tomatoes with peppers. I've also added chopped red peppers sometimes.

$20?! You are shopping at the wrong places, girlfriend! ;-)

I make it for about $12...

But then, I am El Cheapo Originales. I stock up on things when they are on sale.

Love you, and glad you like my soup!

Anonymous said...

yes it is great and I make it when we have cooler weather..does make a lot...nice to have when you have company in...such a easy meal....just make sure you have a good can-opener!!!!!!!

3dingsandadog said...

I have had this once at your Grandma Joan's house. It is sooo good. I will make it soon and if you don't mind will post it on my recipe blog; twofriendscooking.blogspot.com

Thanks Jess

Nicole said...

Sounds delicious! Thanks!

Jess(ica) said...

Barb, that would be cool if you posted it on your other blog. I need to check it out for some cooking ideas, too! Thanks for the remind about your other blog!!