Friday, October 24, 2008

The good ol' days

Although I feel like I am settling into Minnesota life, I would not consider myself "settled" yet. On days where I feel less settled, I tend to think of the good ol' days in CA and figured I'd write some of the memories on my blog. Not because I am dwelling in the past though; I have plenty of things to look foward to (broomball, ice hockey and snow!!). I am writing these because it is just nice to think about the past memories sometimes.

Most of them probably won't be interesting to anyone but me, but I am going to make the list anyway...

-I miss playing poker every Saturday night! And I miss the fact that David got tired of me bringing the same "Snack to share" every week (taco soup... he liked it but didn't share the same passion for weekly servings of it)

-I miss watching CNN with Brandi every day at lunch at State Farm in Roseville and talking in the break room about our faith and what we thought about the current events (this, by the way, is how Brandi and I started to become really good friends)

-I miss hearing Alicia say, "I'm saying..." when she agreed with someone and felt passionate about the issue.

-I miss losing hours and hours of sleep staying up late talking to Jon. And watching 24 with him (this is how Jon and I started to become really good friends)

-I miss making Rachel crazy by making empty threats that I was going to hurt her cat, Bauer (this is when Rachel started to question the strength of our friendship haha j/k).

-I miss paying Rachel $20 to clean my bathroom (I know this is my cousin Rebecca's favorite room to clean, but it's definitely not mine)

-I miss living with one of my BFF's.

-I miss all the yummy things Alicia would cook (especially her Tortilla Soup... I was the only one who liked it... go figure that the picky one was the only one who liked it!)

-I miss playing hours of Dr. Mario with Alicia

-I miss David blasting the cold air when it got a little hot in the apartment on poker nights (did I mention I miss poker nights?)

-I miss walking with Brandi on our morning and afternoon breaks at work.

-I miss In-N-Out and Round Table

-I miss having the option of going to see my Turlock/Modesto relatives when I had time

-I miss being able to ask Rachel "does this outfit look ok?"

-I miss being able to just sit in the same room at the same time with all my CA friends

-I miss knowing my way around town

-I miss watching American Idol and Hell's Kitchen with Rachel

-I miss having my own bathroom and huge room and huge closet!

-I DON'T miss my neighbor who played the piano at 9am every Saturday morning!

-I miss talking to my mom every morning on my way to work (in CA when I was on my way to work at 645am, my mom was already up because it was 845 in MN so we actually talked on the phone a lot more then... now I get to see her more, which is better, but I do miss the morning chats)

-I miss the hot tub at my old apartment complex

-I miss carpooling to school with Rachel

-I miss church shopping with Brandi (we never did find one... boo! to seeker-sensitive movement in CA)

-I miss the summers!

-I miss tubing on the American River

-I miss Alicia's 3rd-party perspective on politics!

-And her snowman shower curtain and hand towel that was still up in March/April haha!

-I miss Jon's Chevy Cavalier. Oh wait, I mean his music, wait, neither. hehe =) But I do miss his poker advice

-And I miss discussing with him any and every topic that came up at school

-I miss the nights we'd all hang out at Rach and I's apartment and then realize that, yeah, we like hanging out at Alicia and David's better.

-Alicia and David lived about 100 yards from the train tracks (the tracks were up on a hill) and I miss picturing the train derailing and rolling into their apartment every time it went by (no one probably knew that one!)

-I miss mojo bars-mountain mix!

-I miss the amazing shower water pressure in my old apartment!

Well, I could sit here all night and think of stuff. I am sure there are big things I miss that I didn't think of (maybe my friends will comment on those things; who knows).

As I said, I do have things to look forward to here, like the Broomball team I am playing on (starting in December).

Good times...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you thought of getting a poker group going? I know it wont be the same but it could be fun! I miss those long talks too! When winter comes at least i'll be available for the afternoon comute :-)

Anonymous said...

Wahhhh, no literally I am bawling my eyes out because I miss those things so flippin much too. I know you are starting a new life in MN and I am super excited for you. The most memorable moment I have and miss with Jess is, if anyone knows me they know I cry at ALL movies (literally, and some commercials) well I always used to look over at jess and see if she was crying to and to no surprise she was not, but.....When we were watching King Kong I could'nt really hear because Im usually pretty loud when I cry but I look over and there it was TEARS from Jess and from all the movies in the world freakin KING KONG dude, but it was seriously one of the best moments ever!! Seriously miss it dude.
Steve Madden shoes: $65
Kelly Clarkson T-shirt: $25
Bauers cat food: $14(he barfs alot)
Jess as my old roommie and in CA: PRICELESS
Love ya Jess

not2brightGRAM said...

Well, Jess, I miss you being here too.

But, soon, you will have NEW memories in Minnesota. The list might take a while to grow, but it will!

I like the idea of remembering AND looking forward. My own life has changed so much in the last past two years, that I might just do the same thing.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

David and I read this and cracked up. I was just thinking the other day that I will get to put the snowman decor back up soon! I can't wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas! And especially NY! Maybe the next time you visit I will make you the tortilla soup just because you liked it so much...just get ready to eat it all by yourself :) I miss the long in person chats the most. I remember all the sleepover nights we stayed up so late talking and then convinced ourselves that we were better on 4 hrs. of sleep than 8. What a crock! But I really think we belived it then :) And in the after marriage years when you would come over and talk for hours while David watched tv or played online poker and ignored us for the most part. I guess what I'm really saying is that I miss being a part of your everyday life. When friends move you can absolutely remain close with them, but you always lose the day to day life stuff. In the end though, I'm proud of you like I'm proud of Bryan because you have both stepped out to make a life on your own and like Bry you will eventually thrive. We love you and miss you more than you know!

Anonymous said...

I remember how you'd never want to pick where we ate but you'd usually have a place in mind. So we'd have to to run down the list of restaurants in town till we got to the one you wanted to eat at. That always cracked me up.

3dingsandadog said...

DO you really miss the summers??? LOL

I miss the San Diego summers...

I know where you are coming from though...

I still miss San Diego, it will always be my home..

but on a positive note...I have made great memories here and have made many friends...like you will in MN..

Jess(ica) said...

The summers in CA really are way better than MN. It's hotter in CA as far as the temperature on the thermometer, but it's so humid here that it feels way hotter and stickier!!

Anonymous said...

I miss the random days we would just get up in the morning and be like hey dude we should go to Santa Cruz and we would. You would always drive of course (which I actually miss too) but it was awesome! So many things to look back on and remember as "good times" Hey remember when we drove that one day (it was like your only day off in like two weeks) anyways we drove to the ocean which took like hours and hours but then when we finally got there it was freezing cold, cloudy and just kinda ugly? That was a bummer but I think we ended up hitting up a bomb mexican restaurant or something, anywhoo I miss those days but am excited for the future for all of us, Love and miss you like crazy:)

Jess(ica) said...

Alicia- I, too, miss the day to day stuff. I think that is what has been the hardest on me. And we were craZy to think we only needed 4 hours of sleep! Nowadays, that is a nap for me! hehe

Rach- yeah, the CA beaches always disappointed me. They are cold and overcast most day, thanks to the CA Current that comes from Alaska (I learned that in Geography)!!
The road trips were fun though.

Anonymous said...

I miss many things about Seattle and San Diego! One thing I have learned, as you get older, there is so much to look back on and "miss". I know that the moment I am living now will also become cherished moment/memory.

I cannot wait to see you!

A. Lori

Anonymous said...

Since the Holidays are arriving and Fall is here I am going to miss the few things that Jess cooks. These things include Grandma Richmonds apple pie recipe, Jess makes it sooooooo good. Also will miss the crock pot roast with potatoes, onions and carrots yummmm! Another thing I am not looking forward to is the beginning of the new year, that is when American Idol starts (and Hells Kitchen) and I have not had a season without Jess. We always talk on commercials about what we thought and who was the best/worst so I will definitely miss that. Bauers gonna have to start using his words (my cute little kitty).