Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Bodies Revealed

On Sunday, I went to the Bodies Revealed Exhibition in Sacramento. For those of you who don't know what it is, it is an exhibit of real bodies that have been preserved in several different ways to show you the insides and complexities of the human body.

They have individual parts on display such as bones, muscles, and organs. But they also have bodies that are positioned as doing activities (such as playing golf or soccer) and their skin is gone so you can see muscles and organs. Furthermore, there are cancer-inflicted organs as well as babies at various stages of prenatal development. And, they even have displays where the body has been disolved away and all that is left are the blood vessels that circulate throughout the entire body! And there are many other types of displays!

It is really interesting for adults and kids! I went to the exhibit in Sacramento but they have them in several cities around the U.S. and world. If you have the time and there is one near you, I would highly recommend going!

Oh yeah, if you are thinking of going to the one in Sacramento and want company, let me know! I will gladly go again! =)

15 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

It really does sound interesting. If I didn't live 90 mins. away, I'd take you up on it!

Rebecca said...

Sounds interesting, but weird. How did they acquire all those bodies??

Jess(ica) said...

Pup, it would probably take just an hour to get there for you... it's in Sac.

Rebecca, I am assuming people donate their bodies to science (they were all Asian people, too)

Four peas in a pod said...

There is one here in NYC I've been wanting to go too!

You are right, they are all Asian, but they didn't donate to science. They were found/dug up or something. There is a controversy as to whether that should have been done or not.... ....That is what I have heard, don't know for certain.

Jess(ica) said...

That is crazy! I guess for me, I wouldn't mind donating my body to science (but I'd rather donate my organs if they were usable). It is wired, though, how well they are preserved if it turns out they were, in fact, dug up. You'd think they would have decomposed or something! If I get to go again, I'll have to ask =)

not2brightGRAM said...

I've tried getting a donor card for when I die, and giving blood now, but no one wants me! Something to do with having Type I Diabetes.

I don't think I'd want to be a specimen or a preserved statue, however. I'll stick with the burial plan...

Anonymous said...

I just figure, "why not?" Cuz I'll be dead anyway! =) But maybe I feel that way cuz I am entertained by other people's dead bodies on display haha

not2brightGRAM said...

Or maybe 'cuz you're only in your twenties!

;-)

Anonymous said...

what would my age have to do with it? just curious...

not2brightGRAM said...

The end seems farther off. And, well, if you're vain at all, you'd rather be viewed in your twenties than your fifties! =O

Anonymous said...

It can't be be latter because because you pretty much only see inside organ stuff at this exhibit. The first reason has merit. But my thinking is just because I think stuff like that is neat so why not contribute? =)

Anonymous said...

I think you all are crazy!!!! when I die, you can susprise me what you want to do with me....you all know how much I like suspries!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL. that is funny gma!

not2brightGRAM said...

If you only see the inside stuff, how did you know they were Asians? Just curious...

Anonymous said...

Some of the heads are intact; but the exhibit is more about the inside of the body so they keep some of the heads on for perspective, but often, it is just half the head you can see. Or they cut the skin off the whole face except the lips, eyes and ears. Stuff like that.