Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Reality Check

Today, it finally hit me that I live in Minnesota. I am not sure what all the stages of "grief" are but I am pretty sure the first one is denial. That is where I have been stuck. At least until today.

I really miss my friends and family in CA. I really miss the people I worked with. I really miss the familiarity of the little things like knowing which grocery store to shop at, knowing how to get places and how long it will take, the radio stations I like, and feeling safe going for a walk alone.

I have tried to plug in here in MN and have been quite successful. I have a good job, a place to live with nice roommates, a new church that I love and I have met new people through work and church. I also love living close to my family. I am so glad I don't have to miss my nieces growing up anymore.

But, I really want to go back to my old life in CA... at least that is how I feel today. I feel like I have been on vacation and I am ready to go home now. Ready to sleep in my own apartment, in my own bed. Ready to go and hang out with my friends at poker night. Ready to grab my friends at work on our break and head to starbucks. I am ready to soak in the CA sun (I miss the dry heat).

I am going to take a nap now and maybe when I wake up, I will realize this move to MN was all a crazy dream.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm sure it's totally normal to be feeling that way and you're right, it's like grieving a loss. I hope it gets better for you with time!

A day in the Life... said...

I am sorry :( I hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Awww, well we miss you too but I am so happy that you are now given the oppurtunity to bless the lives of those in Mn as you have blessed our lives here in CA. I have my days too, one day things are fine and the next I wake up and miss my best friend and roommate:( I pray for you everyday because I know that you are experiencing so many new things and it must be scary but if the Lord can heal me of my fear of being alone, then lemme tell ya sista, He can do anything:) We miss you like crazy here in CA but can't wait to hear all that the Lord has for you in MN. See ya soon WOOHOO!!!

Four peas in a pod said...

Hang in there! I still have moments of missing San Diego, and mostly, Seattle! It takes time to develop a new "relationship" with your new environment. It will happen over time, especially as you build new personal relationships. I am glad you found a church you like. That will probably be a rich source of friendships for you.

If the lonliness gets too intense, take a trip to Grand Rapids for the weekend!

Love,
A. Lori

not2brightGRAM said...

It is hard to adjust, but as others have said, give it some time. Before you know it, you will feel at home where you are.

Besides, if you move back here, how will I convince Uncle Rick to make a trip to MN someday?!

;-)

Elizabeth said...

hmm definitely know how you feel.... im just starting to get used to idaho, then going back to ca. by the time i'm totally used to ca again, i'll be back here. it's a vicious cycle.