Wednesday, July 9, 2008

How to be successful...

Someone recently made a comment on their social network page that they want to be successful. I wrote them back with a few things I have learned about succeeding and thought I would post those thoughts here on my blog (and I added a few extra tips here on the blog). The following points are my thoughts based on what I've experienced and seen.

It is important to note that we all view success in different ways, so your list will be a little (or a lot) different than mine. Because of that, I think in the comment section you should add one or more success tips you have for me and other readers. It'll be fun =)

Jessica's Tips for Success:

1- You can't ever succeed if you are afraid to fail. Everyone fails. But you grow and learn through failures on your way to success so learn from them and keep trying!

2- Learn to make hard and tough decisions and stick with it. There may not always be a "right" choice but sometimes, you still have to pick one way or the other. So learn to make that decision and don't waiver from it.

3- Recognize destructive paths or potential problems and do what you can to fix it before it happens or gets worse. It's easy to just wait and make changes or decisions until you HAVE to. But if you notice the path you are on will get you nowhere, get off it and find a new path. To stay on a bad path only wastes your time and energy and lets face it, we aren't getting any younger! So, we should get off the bad paths (once we recognize they are bad) and get on with the rest of our lives!

4- Pay your bills. And pay them on time. Life requires good credit so always pay your bills.

5- Take time for self-development. Learn something you have been wanting to learn or you know you will benefit from. This could be anything from taking time to read books to pursuing your college education. And take advantage of the learning opportunities that are free; many employers pay for additional training for employees (sometimes it isn't even related to your particular role in the company) and many colleges offer free classes to help students improve writing skills, interviewing skills, etc.

6- Be a self-starter. Don't wait for opportunities to come to you. Go get them. No one is going to come and find you because there are too many motivated and qualified people out there who are begging for that job, internship, etc.

7- Be nice to everyone. You have no idea who you will run into again someday and who they may know! It's a small world. We all have stories where we have found out that two people who we know, from two totally different place in life, know each other!

8- Listen to the advise of others; even if it's unsolicited. Many people we know have "been there, done that" and can offer really good advise that pertains to a situation you are facing. Seek out wisdom from people you trust. Don't be so proud to think you can handle life on your own. News flash: You can't. You won't always take all the advise you hear; sometimes, their advise might help you discover what NOT to do. But at least listen and consider; it may not apply now, but you might come back to it. If you feel the need to roll your eyes and ignore the person who is giving you advise, refer to tip #7

9- Understand that not all things are within the scope of your control. I believe in God. I believe that there are things God allows to happen in my life and that there are things that God causes to happen in my life. Also, there are people all around us who make decisions we have no control over that directly affect our lives.

10- Be likable. Smile.

11- Don't judge others. I am not talking about making judgments about the people we interact with; we need to do that all the time (we judge a babysitters maturity before we let her watch our kids; we judge a friends driving skills before we ride in the car with them; we judge the faithfulness and character of a boyfriend/girlfriend before we commit to spend the rest of our lives with them). I am talking about judging the worth of a human being. We all sin, we all have flaws and we have no right to think we are more valuable than another.

12- Be open-minded (see my previous post on this topic for further explanation)

13- Take time for yourself and do the things you enjoy, spend time with people you care about, and try to laugh a lot.

I am sure I have a million more things I could say, but this will do for now. I have learned a lot over the years about finding my way through life. I did not learn all these things the easy way, and I am still working on many of them.

I am looking forward to hearing what YOU have to add to this list!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a truly wise lady ;)

Anonymous said...

Jessica....I am so proud of you...have so much widsom for your age...I pray that some reading your blog will learn something from it...(I wish I had some of this advise when I was YOUNGER) miss ya and love ya

Anonymous said...

CONFIDENCE!!! As lame as it sounds and as much as I think it sounds too much like "concieded" I have been told it is super necessary. I, personally, lack confidence tremendously and am trying to work on it but throughout my life people have told me that confidence is a must. Going for job interviews, meeting new people (possible husband:)As my best friend(Jess) puts it, its mainly about self-awareness and knowing what you're capable of and letting others know that as well. Gotta love her, new song "She's a WISE WOMAN." (instead of wild woman for those of you who know the song) All in all, develop confidence, it won't be over night God Bless.

not2brightGRAM said...

I don't think you can beat Rudyard Kipling's recipe. Insert the word, "success" and "friend" for "man" and "son" in the final line.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

not2brightGRAM said...

And, I also thought your list was impressive! ;-)

Four peas in a pod said...

Jessica,

My addition to your well thought out list is patience! Very few people are an "overnight success" at anything, whether it be in work, relationships, parenting, etc. After a very late night with Audrey this week, where my patience almost ran out, I realized how important this is to succeed as a parent and really in anything. I was able to maintain my own patience and eventually little Audrey went to sleep - now that I call success :-)

And we're so glad to hear that you're doing well!

Love,
Jana

Jess(ica) said...

Aunt Pup- I liked that poem/recipe =) lots of things to think about for sure!

Aunt Jana- Patience is a really good one! It is so necessary!

Thanks!!! For adding those! =)

Four peas in a pod said...

My tip for success:

No Drugs! No smoking!

It's what I make Ellie say in front of the mirror EVERY night after she brushes her teeth.

:-)

-Lori

Jess(ica) said...

Awesome- I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is the ultimate success. all the success we could have on earth will end --- eternity with Jesus is forever!

i loved your list. good things to think about!

This and That said...

Great list. I agree with all of your points. I have learned a couple of this already.
additional tip:
Enjoy every moment of your life. You are never going to be in the same place in life again. Learn to enjoy the stages.