Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Life is like... Poker!

Those who know me know I love playing poker. It really isn't about the money; it's about the game. Over the past few years, I have gotten a little better and have learned a few things it takes to be a decent poker player.

One of the biggest keys to being a good poker player is patience. You most likely are not going to take everyone out early in the game. As the game progresses, you have to wait for your "all in" moment. And when you see it, you need to seize it; and when you seize it, you need to do it with confidence. Until that moment happens, you still need to play smart and be ready for something big to happen.

I think life is like that. We need to be very patient sometimes, waiting for those moments or things that we really want. Until that happens, though, it is important to make good decisions along the way so we are prepared to make big, "all in" decisions when they come up. And when we make those big decisions, we need to go for it with confidence. Another reason patience is important is because sometimes, those big decisions are out of our control and we have to wait on another person's leading (or God's leading).

This all made more sense in my head when I was thinking about it earlier today =)

2 comments:

Four peas in a pod said...

Makes sense to me!!

3dingsandadog said...

I agree and actually needed to hear that! :)