Saturday, February 23, 2008

Jury Duty - Woo Hoo!!!

For the first time ever, I have been summoned for Jury Duty. Some people do not get happy when they get this notice in the mail; I am excited!

I suspect that I am a very unlikely candidate to be selected though. Based on my stats: never been in trouble with the law, Criminal Justice major, and working in claims for an insurance company - it is not likely I will be selected. I am sure the prosecution will like my stats, but the defense won't (mostly because of the "Criminal Justice" part).

I hope they ask enough questions to figure out that even though I am studying Criminal Justice, I actually think I would make a very fair decision (on both guilt and sentencing) when presented with the facts.

If the case is a 1st degree murder case where the death penalty would be a potential sentence, I would not be able to serve since I am opposed to the death penalty - not for the reasons most people are opposed to it, but still, I am opposed... if you want to know why, feel free to ask (side note: I am NOT opposed for religious reasons).

Obviously, this is all speculation since I still have yet to go through the process of being considered, but these are all thoughts I have had when I have imagined the day I might get to sit on a jury!

Oh yeah, State Farm gives their employees paid days off when they are serving the government (jury duty, military, working an election polling place, etc), so no "financial burden" here! Just an excited college student who hopes she gets selected! =)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica you are soooo funny!! But you know I always have a cautionary tell for all situations...so...do you remember what happened when i was on jury duty? Dad told me to get out of it, but i was so excited I went against his wishes and they picked me. Big mistake on my part. I was really tramatized by the guy we found guilty. He had 3 tear drop tatoos under his left eye. After we had convicted him, I was told by a fellow juror that worked with gangs that it meant he had killed 3 people. And he had threatened the witnesses ( a mom and her young daughter.) It really freaked me out. So be careful what you wish for.

Anonymous said...

I, on the other hand, served on a murder trial and appreciated the experience. Very enlightening...

And, yes, I'd love to know why you're opposed to the death penalty.

Four peas in a pod said...

Jessica, I have served on a jury 3 times. It is a very good experience!

I too am opposed to the death penalty. I will tell you why: I think killing someone is the easy way out. It's liking spanking a child for hitting someone. Too many people have been wrongly convicted, etc. The only problem I have is that when people do kill, they are not punished enough. There should be no internet, no library, no getting out early, EVER. They should have to go to "work" and produce something to benefit society - a secure controlled environment job.

That's all. Oh one more thing, if someone killed Jana or Ellie, of course I would want to wrap my hands around there neck and slowly watch them die -screaming for mercy. I would even want to torment them awhile. But, that is an individual rage. Society should not operate that way. See Islamo-facism.

Thats all.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and by the way... I am one of those unusual citizens who LOVE getting jury summons in the mail.

In addition to being fascinated with the process (pros and cons- pardon the "cons" pun!), it's usually a guilt-free day of reading a good book while waiting to be called! ;-)

Four peas in a pod said...

Yes, it is nice to just hang out and read while you wait to see if you are going to be assigned to a trial. Especially when you are still getting paid from work! It's a nice break.

Jess(ica) said...

not 2 bright and 3 peas...

My biggest reason for opposition to the death penalty is that our country has a huge problem with racial discrimination in it's application. Minorities are way more likely to be given the death penalty than white people.

I also agree with "3 peas" in that it is a result of "individual rage" or revenge, which is wrong. I would like to see their punishment more severe, as well. Prison should not be a place for recreation, it should be a place to work and pay back society (as "3 peas" said).

I sure hope I get picked!!!

3dingsandadog said...

Hey Jess, good luck on getting picked! Lol...When I was working at Geico I got called and was really excited to have a Week off from regular work..unfortunatly I did not get picked...I also would love to see how the court system works, however I doubt I will ever be choosen due to Lee's work.

I also disagree with the death penalty...For another reason as well. I think it costs our state(taxpayers) way more $ since a death sentence is usually appealed...again and again...

Jess(ica) said...

Yes, in CA especially, it is WAY more expensive to go through the process of giving someone the death penalty than to just lock them up in prison for life!

In Texas, however, that is another story!

Anonymous said...

I have been called to jury duty several times, and have been called twice to serve...was interesting...one was a drug dealer and I forgot what the other was....it seems like killers get off to easy...it looks like they are in a country club...they need a place like the sheriff Az. has...!

3dingsandadog said...

Very true about Texas...