Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I'm A Loser

And so are my dad and 3 brothers (mom and Tiff are turds b/c they never have weight problems).

After 3 of the 4 siblings had separate discussions with our parents about our desire to lose a few pounds that creeped up on us this winter, my dad suggested having a "Clark Family Weight Loss Challenge" so that we could encourage and motivate each other. Let's face it, no one likes to face the challenges of losing weight alone.

So, my dad sent us "kids" an email with the terms and conditions. I won't get into the details of "incentives" (other than the obvious weight loss incentive) of the terms and conditions, but if any of you know my dad, you will know there are always terms and conditions when it comes to making a deal with my dad :)

Our challenge goes from February 22- May 22. We all reported our starting weight to my dad as well as our goal weight. He sent us back what our target weight loss percent is and an excel spreadsheet chart that we can use to track our weight loss each week. Each Monday we report our weight loss to my dad and he sends the results to all of us so that we all know how everyone is doing.

I am not sure about brother 2 and 3, but brother 1, dad, and I are using the weight watchers (WW) program. I find that, for me, this provides the structure I need while allowing flexibility of food choices. I can follow this plan and not feel deprived or like I am dieting. Well, maybe it feels a little like dieting but not as bad as having to follow a plan where I am sent a processed meal to eat 3 times a day.

Not only do I have the support of my family and friends, I also have a few co-workers going to the WW meetings with me on our Monday lunch breaks. And a few others from work are trying to get healthy by following various programs. Needless to say, I am surrounded by encouragement and motivation!

So this first week, I lost 4.6 lbs. This is pretty typical for the first week. Your body goes into shock and you typically lose a lot the first week. Next week I am not as optimistic but as long as the number on the scale keeps getting smaller I will be happy!

In case anyone is wondering or concerned, my reasons for wanting to do this is simply to feel more comfortable in my own skin. I'm doing this for me; no one else.

7 comments:

inked33 said...

whoooooooo hooooooooooo! great job :)

erin said...

good for you! i was just thinking the other day that i have to start watching what i eat again... i did that last year and with watching my food and exercising, i lost 35 lbs.... i'd like to lose another 35!

i can't wait to hear what your incentives are! if you're gonna post them! and good luck! i know you can do it!

jessica said...

thanks guys :)

Erin, our incentives are monetary (and obviously, being smaller hehe). :)

Four peas in a pod said...

Jana and I are on WW too! She looks great (always has!), and I have lost 20 lbs so far. It is actually pretty easy for us, with one catch! Anytime we are out of our routine, say B-day parties, get together's, work parties, shower's, etc, it becomes difficult! But, it is do-able. We are finding ways that are healthy and live-able. FF sour cream v. regular, etc.

Good luck on your journey! The Clark's in NJ are with ya all!

Love,

A. Lori

Thought Renaissance said...

That's so awesome, Jess, for all of you!! Even if you don't win the money, there is still that great incentive!! I am really getting motivated to get really healthy and in shape, too. Have you had your body fat percentage checked yet? That is a really great way to help you assess where your body really is. Your weight doesn't necessarily mean anything as long as your body fat is in good shape, and I'm really learning that! What kind of exercising, etc will you be doing? Maybe we could talk more about this on skype or facebook chat sometime :)

Sarah Casebolt said...

That is awesome!! And I can't believe that you lost almost 5 pounds in a week???? I hate you...

grandma said...

Knowing your dad, I cant wait to see what the "CARROT" was...hope you'll let us all know...good luck and hang in there....