Tuesday, October 6, 2009

2 new goals

I like having goals.

Sometimes they are big and huge goals that take a lot of time, effort, planning, and are certain to have a lot of failures and successes before I have reached my goal. For example: Re-doing my budget and manage my spending better.

Other times, they are small goals that don't take much time but are nice to accomplish and then move on with my life. For example: Each day I hope to record my voicemail at work without stumbling over my words and having to start over.

Well, I have a new goal. Well, two new goals. And one actually stems from the other.

This year in hockey I am going to be playing Center. This means I will be the person trying to win the face-offs. After my first few attempts at facing off during a practice a few weeks ago it became very apparent that I do not have the upper body strength necessary to be overwhelmingly successful at winning face-offs. I realized that it would be a good idea to work on building my arm strength. And the day after my practice, my extremely sore triceps confirmed my idea!

So, I set out to build up my arm strength. (This is goal #1)

In the process, I solicited help from someone at work who also works out when I do and they helped me learn a few exercises to build up my arm strength as well as shoulder, chest, etc. Obviously one exercise that can contribute to this new goal would be the simple push up. Except for me, they are not so simple. I can definitely do the "girl" push ups (on my knees) but I cannot do a real push up. Well, I can do half of one.... I can lower my body towards the earth but the coming back up part gets me every time.

I really want to be able to do a *real* push up (This is goal #2 and eventually I will expand this goal to be able to do more than one push up!)

Even though I have been trying to do this for a few weeks now, I have yet to actually do a push up. But, I can tell I am getting closer to reaching this goal. Tonight, I almost did one... I could feel it; but my arms are still rebelling. I will try again every few days though!

Obviously goal #2 is easy to measure: I can either do a push up or I can't.

Goal #1 will take time to measure. The official hockey season for my team hasn't even started yet so I am not regularly doing face offs at this point. But through the year, hopefully I will become stronger as well as learn some techniques on how to become more effective at winning face offs.

12 comments:

Giggles said...

Nice! I think those are both good goals especially for the short term. It's fun to have something active to work for that you can achieve within a month or two. I would just start writing down or thinking about other similar goals so you have a new set after you complete these!

Maybe something like beat me in arm wrestling ;)

erin said...

hmmm... i didn't know that you had to have upper body strength to win face offs... i just thought you had to be fast!

good luck building your strength!

Jess said...

I think that the push up goal is a good one! I could never even begin to try doing one! lol Good luck with that and enjoy the hockey season!!!

Jess(ica) said...

Part of winning a face off is speed... if you are the fastest, it doesn't matter that much if you are strong. But if you both end up at the puck at the same time, the person with the most strength will probably prevail.

mom said...

Ok so i'm thinking "what is she talking about that she can't do a pushup" Oh my gosh!!! my butt just would not get up in the air! It's kinda weird to be laughing all by yourself in the house. I kept trying and just kept laughing. When did i get so wimpy?

not2brightGRAM said...

Real push ups are hard! A couple of years ago, I could do one or two, then I'd collapse.

Jess(ica) said...

That is funny mom! Wish I could have seen you lol!! Yeah, a "real" one is hard! I'm almost there though! I can feel it!

fatheroftheblogger said...

Part of winning face off's isnt going after the puck but being tricky - like letting the puck drop and letting the other guy miss it as it bounces and then getting the easy face off.... or not going after the puck but "whack his stick" and then go for the puck.... or whacking his stick and getting your body in his "space" and letting your team mate get the easy spoils (this takes some communication w/teammate).... etc...etc...etc. change it up often. And then when your opponent expects the trickery...just go for the puck...

I was never the fastest, or strongest, but won the better half of faceoffs by NOT going for the biscuit all the time.

or...ask john.. he did wall also

Jess(ica) said...

Good advice!!! Thanks Dad!

mom said...

We'll practice some pushups on Wed. can't wait to see you. I'm so glad you're coming with me!! We will have a great time making memories.

John said...

As a Clark, you will NEVER be the most athletic person on your team. But, as a Clark, there is a good possibility that you could be one of the smartest (some possible bias involved)! As dad said, strength combined with shrewdness (as it applies to hockey) will get you much farther than pure strength alone.

Good Luck

Jess(ica) said...

I definitely know how it feels to have the Clark "speed" haha. But yep... we are the smartest... hehe