Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Rum, the Fork, and the Sea Snail

Well, I just got back from the Virgin Islands; St. John to be exact. My parents are still there for a few more days. I went down to join them for a long weekend with a good friend of mine from Bible College, Sarah.

I am sure at some point, I will post pics of my trip, but for those of you who have seen all the hoopla on facebook about the sea snail, I figured I would start with that story!

Please note: This story is amazingly funny but may not be as funny to those of you who were not there. If I were an advanced creative writer, I might be able to make this story sound just as humorous as it truly was, but nonetheless, I am a novice writer.

We were at the beach on a beautiful Friday afternoon... ok, I am not going to write the whole story like that... but really, we were at the beach. Sarah and I were catching some rays and my mom was on the shore searching for shells (she loves shells... that will be hugely important to know for this story). My dad was snorkeling in the ocean, scoping it out before Sarah and I joined him shortly.

Here is a picture of where we were snorkeling...
we went all the way around the rocks you see there

As Sarah and I were floating in the shallow water, gearing up to join my dad (we were literally gearing up; had to get our snorkels, mask, and fins on) when my dad came swimming up to join us. In hand was this beautiful shell. It was pretty large; about the size of a large, Cantelope melon. Inside this beautiful shell, was an unsuspecting sea snail (at the time we thought it was a conch). A sea snail who, little did he know, was getting the last few moments of sea water that he would ever get.

Knowing my mom's absolute love for sea shells, my dad was very eager to show her this amazing find. It was truly a proud moment for any loving and adoring husband. Sarah and I stood by with tears as my dad, in all his excitment, showed the love of his life the most beautiful shell she had ever seen. And our hearts were saddened as he explained to her that she could not keep the shell as it was the home to a sea creature; a sea creature who needed this little home to survive.

My mom's reaction? you might wonder... "Can't we kill just one?"

Hmm...

I can't exactly remember my dad's response at that point. By this time, Sarah and I were ready to snorkel so my dad swam back out to where we were waiting for him and off we went; snorkeling the great underworld of the sea. As we approached the beach at the end of our mini-snorkel excursion, we saw my mom sitting on the beach, next to the sea snail, attempting to coax it out; as if smooth talking and bribery was going to displace this poor, helpless creature!

As she has done many times in her life, and as she will continue to do throughout the years to come, my mom convinced my dad to see things from her perspective. And off we went, on our merry way around the island, with a sea creature tagging along in the back seat of our rented jeep.

Here is a picture of my dad, checking out the "situation" of how difficult it
might be to remove the sea creature from the shell.

Once we got back to our villa, we were still uncertain as to how we were going to get the sea creature to move out of it's home. My parents certainly wouldn't be able to just pack the shell with it's inhabitant as the stench would certainly make Customs an unforgettable experience, not to mention the lingering smell on all their luggage contents! The redeeming factor was that there was still 1 week before my parents were to leave the island. The question remained: was this enough time to figure out how to lure a sea snail from it's home?

From the picture below, you can see that the sea snail ventured out of it's shell; maybe to take a look at it's new surroundings? maybe to try to find it's way to salt water? or maybe because it was dying? We may never know.

But what we DO know, is that we failed to seize this moment. The moment the sea snail made himself available to be kindly removed from it's home and disposed of in a quiet, humane manner. After waiting it out one more night, it is with great displeasure that I inform you that the sea snail retreated back into his home; all the way back into his home. And now, we had just 5 days to figure out how to empty out this beautiful shell (which, by the way, is way more beautiful in person).



At this point, we were desperate.

And we were left with nothing but the three things: a relentless desire to bring this shell home, a bottle of rum, and a fork.

So we went to work, beginning with step one: Fill the shell with rum and prop it up so that the sea snail would drown in it's new marinade.

After we were certain the snail was either dead or so intoxicated it could not flex the one muscle that it was comprised of, we grabbed the fork. That is when it got ugly.

Impaling the sea snail one careful stab wound at a time, it began to make it's way out of the shell, slowly and surely. Taking turns, my dad and I began to make significant progress.

We had no way of knowing the obstacle that we were about to face next. If any of you have ever marinated "meat" you know that after time, it shreds quite well and our little sea snail friend was no exception; he began to shred. With each and every fork stab, there was less and less of Mr. Snaily attached to the part of him that was still curled up inside it's home. After a valiant effort to keep Snaily in one piece, his once perfect little "body" was now two, imperfect halves. And one of those halves was stuck deep inside the shell.

How does this story end? I am sad to say that it certainly doesn't end with "Happily Ever After" - clearly not for the sea snail and neither for my mom. You see, the shell cannot be brought home so long as it still has sea snail remains inside of it. My dad's solution? Bury it in the woods and next year, when the last bit of sea snail has been eaten away by Virgin Island critters, collect the shell and bring it home to display.

If you can stomach it, below is a video of my dad trying to "fork" the sea snail out of it's shell.




**Please note: I fully supported my mom's desire to keep the shell and bring the sea creature's life to an expiration. If that does not sit right with you, please, with all due respect, keep those comments to yourself (or PETA).

20 comments:

erin said...

thanks for the story! i was quite curious after seeing your status on FB!
it totally cracked me up that your mom wanted to kill the snail. i see her as the exact opposite type of person!
sounds like they came up with a good solution!

Nicole said...

Oh.My.Word I am dying here. That is freaking hilarious. And also sad. And disgusting.

You really should've just drank the rum, put the nasty stench in an airtight bag and called it good.

Heather said...

my first reaction??? who was the unlucky one who had to eat off that fork?? great story! i agree with erin. i would not have pegged debbie as the "let's-kill-a-snail" kind of person!

not2brightGRAM said...

My favorite line, "As she has done many times in her life, and as she will continue to do throughout the years to come, my mom convinced my dad to see things from her perspective."

Many times!?! How about *most of the times*?

(I love you Deb!)

Anonymous said...

Lol!!! That is hilarious!!! Go Uncle Dave, and here I thought it would be boring on the islands for weeks at a time...I'm thinking I should open a garden center...

Anonymous said...

Ok, In my defense:
1st: you are allowed to harvest 2 conchs per day. People actually eat them. (although we found out afterwords that it really wasn't a conch, that's why it's shell was so unique from the other ones Dave has found in the past.)When we "googled"it we found out that it's actually a "cassis" & normaly found in the south pacific or the indian ocean. It said nothing about it being in the caribbean or atlantic which is where we are.
2nd: Dave convinces me to see HIS perspective way more than i do his.
3rd: Erin and Heather you are right, We find all kinds of cool shells with living things in them and we always put them back. This one was just to awsome to pass up. I hope it's there when we come back next year.
4th: ahh the fork, I'll run it through the dishwasher before we leave tomorrow, what the next people dont know wont kill them.(i hope)
5th: which nephew or neice is "anonymous"?
Jessica really should write short stories. She's missing her true calling!

Anonymous said...

i must have done something wrong. it wouldn't let me sign my name as mom/debbie maybe it was the forward slash. anyway you all know it was me :-D

Jess(ica) said...

I feel like I also need to add that when the we "forked" the sea snail out of the shell, it was dead; I joked that it may have been very drunk, but it was dead. The snail was not "forked" until it died.

Anonymous said...

My first thought after reading about this escapade was that you guys should have tried to use salt because salt melts snails....but, then my brain kicked in and I realized that it prob. wouldn't melt a creature that lives in salt water...haha

Four peas in a pod said...

Poor little guy. Won't even get to go to heaven.

Jess(ica) said...

alicia, we had the same thoughts! haha, i can't believe I forgot to mention that in this post!

Anonymous said...

Animals don't get to heaven, ever.

Elizabeth said...

haha i can totally hear your mom saying that!

Anonymous said...

I believe animals go to heaven. So does my pastor. Your mileage may vary :).

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see biblical support for animals going to heaven.

And keep this in mind when you research what the bible says about animals crossing from earth to heaven...

there is a difference between:

1.animals EXISTING IN HEAVEN and
2. animals actually GOING FROM EARTH TO HEAVEN...

Four peas in a pod said...

That's my point. He won't get to go to heaven. This life was his only shot. Bummer.

I think we are suppose to have domain over them. I believe that includes torturing them.

But really I was being sarcastic about it all.

Jess(ica) said...

Agreed!

Anonymous said...

I have a Jewish friend who says the word translated as "dominion" in the KJ version actually translates to something closer to "caretaker." It doesn't mean we don't have the right to use the earth and the gifts on and of it that God has given us, but it does mean we are to use them wisely and not abuse them. In which case some folks may get a bit of an unhappy surprise when they do get to heaven. I'm not an "animal rights" person, I do eat meat and think it's okay to do so, but I do believe that animals should always be treated as humanely as possible. It's always hard to tell inflection when someone is writing, but I really hope you don't mean that you think it's okay to torture animals?

Jess(ica) said...

Who is Joe's mom? Just curious. i am always intrigued by random people who post on my blog that I didn't even know read it!

As for torturing animals, I can speak on behalf of 4 peas in a pod and tell you that she doesn't mean it in the literal sense of torturing them. She was being sarcastic =)

Elizabeth said...

Hahaha still a great story a year later! And I was about to write that I "can totally hear your mom say that" when I noticed I wrote the same thing a year ago!