Sunday, June 15, 2008

Minnesota

On Tuesday evening, my mom, Charlie and I left Rocklin, CA for Minnesota. On our 3 day journey across the United States, we encountered a lot of wind, rain and snow. Yes, I did say snow! Through the "Big Sky" pass through Idaho/Montana it snowed the entire time. And the snowflakes were the size of quarters!

Other than that, our journey's were uneventful: no trouble with the Uhaul and we arrived safe and sound.

My only complaint was this: gas mileage. And I happen to be traveling at a time in history where we are paying record high gas prices. I checked the mileage at one point and I was getting just over 9 mpg. I never checked it again because it was too depressing. I spent over $900 on gas. Such is life.

We stopped in Grand Rapids and I got to see the rest of the family. Then, my dad, mom and Greg traveled the rest of the way to St. Paul with me and helped me move in to my new place.

I start work at my new office tomorrow. I am really excited for that.

Moving here and settling in has already proved to be a challenge, as I expected. But, I hope, and deep down know, that in the near future I will feel a sense of normalcy. It is just hard right now to face all the changes and challenges of a new city, job, home, and social life.

I miss my friends .

I'm sure there will be more updates to come =)

5 comments:

Jess(ica) said...

Please excuse poor grammar. I am tired and don't feel like changing it =)

A day in the Life... said...

Glad you had a safe trip. Those gas prices really Stink I know!

Four peas in a pod said...

Jessica!

Glad you made it safely! Email me your new address. I have a card I need to send!

A. Lori

Anonymous said...

yes, send us all your mailing address...will you still have the same cell phone???? hard to belive the price of gas...no one will want to move very far at that kind of price.....will be looking forward to your up dates..love ya

Elizabeth said...

i make my recipe different than my mom does... so i'll give you mine because they're amazing;) so how about this. you give me the taco soup recipe in exchange?? :)

ok... um so i don't have exact amounts because i pretty much guesstimate but...

pre-heat oven to 325-350.

cut chicken up into small pieces (about 1" squares) and put into a frying pan. turn to about medium heat. put one can (or approx. based on how much chicken you have) of mild or medium green enchilada sauce. also put a can of drained, whole pinto beans in with the chicken.

continue stirring until chicken is completely cooked (obviously.)

in a separate frying pan while the chicken is cooking, warm up tortillas. (my mom says to fry them, but i personally just like to warm them, getting them just a little crispy.)

in a square, glass pan, put some green sauce and mexican cheese on the bottom. then, wrap tortillas with however much chicken/bean mix you want, putting a little bit of cheese in each enchilada and place across pan. after all enchiladas are in the pan douse with green sauce and lots of cheese.

place in oven for 15-30 minutes, depending on how crispy/done you want them.

on side, get some refried beans and warm with another can of pinto beans, adding some green sauce and cheese to make some yummy bean dip!!



k your turn:) hope they turn out!