Thursday, November 1, 2007

Job Promotion

About 4 weeks ago, I posted for a new job at State Farm. I currently am a Claim Service Assistant for auto claims, or more commonly known as "secretary." The job I posted for is a Claims Processor in Fire (Homeowners) claims. I found out on Monday that I was selected for the position. There were actually about 5-6 openings and I am assuming about 25-30 applicants, both inside and outside State Farm.

Besides the obvious reward of getting the position, this has been a very good "personal development" opportunity for me. I worked hard to prepare for the interview and one of the things I did to prepare was a mock interview. Five managers from auto claims conducted a 30 minute interview with me 3 days before my real interview. I must say it was the best thing I could have done to prepare. If you are trying to get a job, you really ought to find someone to conduct a mock interview for you. As un-fun as it was, I was able to get a management perspective of my weaknesses, strengths, and a list of possible questions I was likely to be asked in the real interview. Also, having the mock interview took the edge off my nerves for the real one so I was way more relaxed and in control of my nerves when I had the real interview.

I also made a few friends along the way. Myself and another lady, who put in for one of the available positions, too (and also got it!!), compared notes on our mock interviews and potential questions, and we encouraged each other in being confident in the abilities and skills we possessed. It was so cool when we heard that we both got one of the positions!

I start this new position on December 3. I am very excited, but also nervous. It is more responsibility, which is good, but there is so much to learn. Especially since all my experience is with Auto claims, not Fire. Now I need to train a new person on the responsibilities I have now. To state fact as fact, I am the only one who knows how to do the job I do now (this was a direct result of someone retiring and myself picking up her responsibilites with almost no training. I had to figure things out as I went and I am still doing that with some things in that job).

I am totally rambling but I am going to post this, as is, because I want to go to bed!

5 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

We are so proud of you!

Congratulations!

Four peas in a pod said...

Awesome! You go girl! You work hard, I know you deserve it.

Four peas in a pod said...

Yay, Jessica! I'm so happy for you. It's a great thing to have someone else notice all your hard work and then be rewarded for it.

Looking forward to seeing you in 2 months!

Jana

3dingsandadog said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

great job Jessica..proud of you as I know mom and dad are also!!
was nice to see you Sat...come again soon! love ya