Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Casablanca Moroccan Restaurant

Last Friday, I went to Casablanca Moroccan Restaurant with some friends from my Middle Eastern Cultures and Societies class. Our assignment is to write a paper on either a book written by a Middle Eastern author or go to a Middle Eastern Restaurant and write about the food, culture, etc. We opted for the restaurant because it was easier and more fun!

Most people who know me well know that I am pretty picky when it comes to food (can I blame my mom???). I definitely thought I would not like most of the food I was going to have to eat, if I even dared to try it! Turns out it was not that bad; I even liked some of it. Actually, the whole experience exceeded my expectations.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The restaurant owners/employees were
dressed in clothes from their culture.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
They serve a dessert type thing before dinner.
This is a very thin, flaky pastry filled with ground lamb
and topped with powdered sugar. Very weird but
not as gross as you'd think! (Not real good either)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
They served pita bread with hummus, carrots and
red beets. I didn't like any of those. They also served
a lentil soup, which I did like.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The dinner was "family style"- we were served spicy meatballs,
beef, lamb, chicken kabobs, rice, and a whole chicken.
It is worth noting that you get just a spoon, no fork, so you
eat with your hands (which they wash for you when you get there).
The whole chicken in this picture is eaten by just tearing off what you want!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To promote a cultural experience, they also had entertainment: a belly dancer.
She was actually pretty good. Some people (but not me) even got up and tried to dance with her, but they were not very good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is just a pic of me and a classmate. We were sitting on a bench seat and the table was in front of us, just slightly lower than knee-high. The other side of our table had cushions for people to sit on. You sat in close proximity to other tables so it is a very communal dinner.

All in all, it was a fun night and I think I will be taking my friends there sometime.


8 comments:

Four peas in a pod said...

How cool is THAT??? I love trying different ethnic food. I will almost try anything (no monkey brains and intestines). The furthest I've ventured from my comfort zone is Alligator in New Orleans and Calamari (squid tenticles) in NYC. Over the years I've also learned to eat goat cheese and lamb. baaaaaaaaaaa!

johnna said...

Interesting. I think I'll skip that restaurant. I'll stick to Chinese.
I think you may have inherited some of your pickiness about food from your Grandpa Clark. Being from a "culture" of Upstate NY dairy farmers, it was beef, pork, or chicken served with mashed potatoes and gravy -sometimes fried potatoes. 'never had a commercially-caught fish of any sort until college age. I ate my first taco at age 22. That's my excuse for my pickiness and I'm sticking to it.
To what do you attribute yours to, Jessica? Your mother you say?
With Love,
Grandpa Clark

Anonymous said...

Well, it is a known fact that my mother didn't have a wide variety of things she cooked. What she does, cook, is really good though. But yeah, my mom picks at her meat just as much as I do; We are both very picky: some things we are both picky about and in some things, one of us is picky and not the other.

I am mostly picky about the meat I eat. I would not trade in my pickiness though because I would never want to be "ok" with eating weird meat =)

not2brightGRAM said...

You should have been to Thailand with Josh & Bec. They have a picture on their Singapore blog of a gourmet selection of grubs, roaches and other assorted bugs!!

Yum-Yum!

Anonymous said...

Bugs are where I draw the line. Actually, I draw the line WAY before bugs....

Four peas in a pod said...

I suppose if the bugs were fried. Anything tastes good fried!!

....Just kidding. Bugs would NOT make my list of things to try unless I were starving.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,
Finally had time to check out your blog. Pretty cool. I serve the One and only Jesus of the Bible baby! Go you, eating weird food, I'm so proud of you!All this time I thought you spelled it Bower not Bauer. Interesting. We need to hang out when school slows down. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I sure would never want to eat in one of thoes places....but proud of you to try it...now as far as mom and her eating, I remember when I first meet her it was french fries and not much else!!! she has come a LONG LONG ways...makes great meatballs and French Bread...good oatmeal cookies as long as she remembers to put enough OATS in the batter!!!
long story on that one...maybe we can tell that one when we are all around digesting our food!!!!