Monday, June 8, 2009

Um... I'm not a runner

So, I realized that while running is okay and I can do it, it's not my favorite form of exerices. I prefer variety and I need something more realistic. I know not everyone is the same as me; some people can run their 3-4 miles a day, every day and they love it!

I have found other ways to stay active; ways that I enjoy staying active long term. The first thing is hockey. I have been playing a few times per week and I will be on a team this coming winter. That is definitely a workout!

The other things I do now are an ab/cardio video and some interval training at work w/friends.

Here is the interval routine that I do and really think anyone can do (even my mom! hehe) and it's very realistic; you get a good cardio workout, work your abs, and can even read or chat w/a friend for most of it!

There are 3 steps (after you do a few minute warm-up of course):

Step 1: walk quickly for 8 minutes (I walk about 4.0 mph)
Step 2: sprint as fast as you reasonably can for 30 seconds (I go between 8.0 -8.5 mph)
Step 3: run/jog for 90 seconds (I go between 6.0 and 6.5 mph)

**Steps 1-3 take 10 minutes to complete... you will want to repeat 4 or 5 times**

When you are done be sure to take a few minutes to cool off.

*Be sure to consult your Physician before starting any workout routine*

1 comment:

erin said...

i just got back on the treadmill again this morning and tried that. but i only do 20 minutes. *THANK GOD* i wouldn't want to do that 4 or 5 times!